Republic Square is the central square of the city, created under the guidance of architect A. Tamanian in 1926. It was called Lenin Square until 1991. The square is well-known for its monumental national architecture. The square's shape is combined of two geometrical figures: an oval and a trapeze. Five buildings are included in the architectural complex.
From the east and west, the House of the Government of Armenia and the House of the Ministries are symmetrically located. On the wall of the House of the Government overlooking the square is the city chiming clock. The building includes some traditional decor elements. The columns and arches on the facades of the buildings are covered with a subtle carving of ancient Armenian nature. The composition is completed with the building of the House of Communication and the building of the Museum with fountains, which are lit at night, in front of them. The oval part of the square is distinguished by its beautiful mosaic decoration.
The square has a small boulevard, on which 2,750 small fountains symbolize the age of the city of Yerevan were installed in 1968.